homeslice:
Another term for homie, but more personal and often used amongst
friends of the highest value. (Urban Dictionary)
When I left Prairie View A&M University for the University of
Michigan, my professors—Dr. Jewel Prestage and Drs. Barbara and Mack Jones–told
me to find Hanes Walton. They all
went way back in the way that so many of the intellectual craftspeople who
molded me do. They said I should
meet Hanes Walton and that he would help me, but the other black professor in
the department at that time, I should “avoid at all costs”. Like the obedient child that I am, I
sought him out and he did what they said.
He helped me.
Others will discuss Hanes Walton’s monumental intellect and his
amazing contribution to the fields of political science, black politics and
African American Studies. But I
will say a few words about how inspiring it is to see your professor in the
library more than the department.
In the first few years I was at Michigan this was often the case with
Hanes. In navigating the maze that
is the Graduate Library, I would often run into Hanes—on the weekends, in the
early mornings, on a random afternoon. There he was with his signature baseball cap, long black
overcoat worn in the too long winters of Michigan for anyone born is the sea
salt air of Georgia or Texas. I
would jokingly ask, “ Do you live here?” He would laugh in a way that became a
regular and ready communication that he appreciated a joke and that he
appreciated you.
That laugh, for me, also became a communication of
recognition. The transition to
Michigan from Prairie View was extremely difficult, not because I had a degree
in physics and found myself in a top tier political science program. It was
difficult because the warm, loving, supportive incubator of blackness that I
had known was gone and I found myself in the cold winter white world of the
University of Michigan. I was a
black girl from a working class family one generation out of the cotton fields and
from under the hood of a car in Southeast Texas who found herself in an elite
educational environment where even my understanding of the place from whence I
came seemed open for challenge. No one understood this transition better than
Hanes having received his education in similar institutions and then taught in
them until he was called to, what was considered by some, “the big leagues,”
but what was for me, and I think for him, an alternative space to gain
resources and access to answer questions of concern for our communities and
ourselves. Because of this big
transition I had made…we had made…we would discuss the differences and he would
help me see how to better navigate my new space and the space I would occupy as
a faculty member. In our common
recollections of the black institutions that had nurtured us he helped to ease
me into and then out of what was, at least socially and, in terms of mentoring,
a radically different learning environment. In a passing conversation on a
frigid midwestern day, he could be the band at halftime, a step show on the
yard, Dr. Prestage’s admonition of “dear, I think we can do better.”
Overtime, I would teach under his guidance and then he would work
with me on my dissertation. And
when I came to him nearly in tears after a problematic committee member who for
two days looked at 6 months of writing, 2 years worth of research, and 8 years
of post-undergraduate education and tried to tear down my work and my spirit,
Hanes said, “You are the expert now. You have done the work. Do not let anyone
challenge you on what you know to be the truth.” With that, I walked to the
graduate school officially told that guy to kick rocks and defended my
dissertation one month later.
Hanes Walton was the homeplace. He too was Southern. And to borrow the language of Chicago
minister, he was unapologetically black. He was fully himself and encouraged you to be your full
intellectual and personal self. He
celebrated your accomplishments as if they were his own and, in part, they
were. Whether you called to say
you had been awarded tenure or your first book contract or given birth to your
first baby, you could hear his sincere joy through the phone…can we all just
laugh and say one more time on the phone…as he would say, “ya done good,
kiddo!” He did not judge your
choices, but he would advise and help you figure out the best way and, in
difficult moments, the best way out.
When I saw him this past September at the Association for the
Study of African American Life and History in Pittsburgh at a panel honoring
the Life and Work of our colleague Ron Walters…a meeting I had never attended
before…a meeting I did not know Hanes attended…a meeting where like those days
in Ann Arbor, I happened upon Hanes in a place where I was seeking to learn something
new and find a new intellectual community. I told him all my good news and he
smiled and congratulated me saying, “good job, kiddo!” He asked after my child
and told him that I hoped they could meet. Maybe on a trip to Michigan in the
summer? A summer that now will not come.
What I learned from Hanes was that a ready smile in difficult
circumstances can be a shield.
What I have learned from Hanes is that home is where the heart is. What I learned from Hanes is that my
job as a professor is to guide my students to the level of competency to answer
the questions that they have. What I learned from Hanes is that my professional
rise was bereft of joy unless I could celebrate the achievements of those who
were in community with me. What I
learned from Hanes Walton was the deep, rigorous, empirical study of black
people could be an intellectual act, but also an act of love
3 comments:
What a beautiful tribute.
Thanks, Rebekah!
Thank you so much for writing this Melynda; you've put into words so much of what I've felt since his passing even though I didn't know Hanes nearly as well as you did. That is, I wasn't his student. Although, perhaps I was because, yes, that smile and that laugh during the few minutes I shared with him here and there over the years taught me more than I ever realized. Beautiful essay.
Post a Comment