Monday, May 28, 2012

Everything I Know About Power My Uncles Learned in Viet Nam (Part I)


When my high school history teacher assigned each of us to interview someone who served in Viet Nam, I could feel the tension in my shoulders mounting.  The assignment would not be hard.   At least six of my uncles served in Viet Nam—blossoming into manhood in this far away jungle.  At the time finding someone to interview was less of a concern than the memories of being harangued by an elderly deacon with detailed stories of digging latrines in Yellowstone Park when we covered the Great Depression.   Somehow I felt this assignment would end similarly. 

I chose to interview my Uncle James.  One of three of my mother’s five brothers to fight in Viet Nam, he was for many reasons the easiest choice for me.  He and my mother’s love for him were a constant of my childhood.  He came to Texas from his new home in North Philly like a regular whirlwind of love and activity and masculinity.  His visits to us, for my siblings and I, were extended days of joy even when sadness brought him home.  If I had to endure being regaled with times long gone by my teenage mind’s estimation, enduring it with him would make it easier.  At the time I did not consider whether my ease was a cause of dis-ease for him.  Asking him to share a time little discussed in my family whose history is only recorded in the communal retelling of my mother and her siblings gave me little hesitation, though now I appreciate the need—for me and them—to pause before entering the pain of others.
 At the time, I was not aware that this would be the first, of many, times my intellectual pursuits would require me to record life put in the balance by the state decisions.  Today, most of the lives in balance are only known to me by the pages of court documents or news articles, but I am all too aware that these early immersions in my family’s legends makes them familiar to even my most objective scholarly eye.  At the time, I could not know that my Uncle’s stories would be life lessons in power and knowledge.  Yet, they are.  At the time, I was young and had little time for old men’s stories.  At the time, I did not have my own war to protest.  At the time, I did not know that he would die too young from the factory dye that perpetually tinted his fingers and nails.  At the time I did not know that hard work could kill.  At the time I did not know anything.  I only knew what I was told.  Find someone who was in Viet Nam and interview them.  I chose my Uncle James.
I cannot remember the exact questions I asked.   Even now as I comb through my memory, I cannot tell you any of the particulars.  How long he was there.  Exactly where in the country he was.  What was his rank?  Who took care of my Aunt Ella and my Cousin Michelle while he was gone?  Why he, a man who was married with a child, was drafted in the first place? What was in those lost letters he wrote my mother that always grieved at their mention?   Were the ghosts that haunted him for more than a decade after his return a specific spook or a more general poltergeist? 
I only remember two stories, but so vividly that they rerun through my mind like a late night movie only partially viewed after interrupted sleep.  The names and colors are muted, but the overwhelming impression lingers.  Like a found snapshot, what happened immediately before and after are obscured in comparison to the events of that one moment.  If I had not been a student of politics maybe these simple stories of a young man away from home and fighting for someone else’s rights would not have lingered.  What follows are the snapshot of Viet Nam my Uncle gave me that day obscured by time—time from the happening to his telling me to my re-telling now.  The first is a story of being found and the other is a story of not being lost. 
To appreciate the first story of him, I must first say a little about us.  I have often joked that my fanaticism for movies about the mafia is because they remind me of my own family, minus the violence.  What resonates with me is the cemented nature of the relationships among those who bind themselves one to another.  If you are in the family, your membership obliges you to the collective above all other relationships.  There is the sense among the members that the hands of la famiglia can reach you at any time and from anywhere.  There is no escape.  It has always seemed that my family followed a similar, but more loving and caring, code. 
We were a close-knit clan who had little need for outsiders.  For the bulk of my life, the majority of my family lived within miles, if not minutes or steps, of one another.  The cartography of our homes was also a study of our history.  Although by the time I was born most everyone lived in the city, all of our houses were just off the road that led directly to the town where my mother was born and where her family had lived since before emancipation.   We were tied to each other physically and emotionally.  As a child, I felt safe under their watch and always within seconds of their grasps.  In the first of my uncle’s stories, I learned the extent of that reach.
On his way to Viet Nam, as I remember it, my Uncle James was stationed in Hawaii.  His time in Hawaii was not completely like that of South Pacific fame filled with song and dance, but it was similarly marked by racial prejudice.  Of the people I have met who have lived in or visited this paradise in the Pacific, my Uncle James is the only person to have left with the sincere belief that is was not beautiful.  For him, it was a staging ground for war with beaches and palm trees.  This was the first step to a place where he could die and leave his wife and young child in a worse situation than they were at the time. 
He spent a lot of his free time in his bunk. Thinking is what I think he said he did most.  As a teen, I had no imaginings of what those thoughts must have been.  My uncle, like my mother and her other siblings, had grown up much under his own tutelage after the death of their mother.  Though known for his smarts, he meandered through school.  His meandering led him to my great aunt and uncle—Ruth and I.G.—in Philadelphia.  In Philadelphia, he met his wife, fathered my cousin, and opened a small restaurant in North Philly. Then he was drafted.  I now feel strongly he must have wondered about the set of circumstances that landed him in a metal military bunk on an island in the Pacific awaiting a trip to Viet Nam.  I am sure he did not deconstruct the ideological views at that particular point in the Cold War that saw this small former French Colony as the lynchpin in preventing the world from falling into the hands of communists, though he may have.  It is my family who has taught me that knowledge and education are not necessarily equivalents.  I am sure he understood the effects of race that led him, a poor black man, to stand in rifled opposition to his Vietnamese counterpart.  I know he thought of his wife and young daughter.  He thought of my mom because he wrote her letters.  In that bunk, he pondered his universe and others in ways my mind is just maturing enough to imagine. 
On one of those thoughtful afternoons with his eyes closed, he sensed a presence.  He opened his eyes.  Above him, smiling ear-to-ear, was his brother Alex.  Alex, two years his junior, left Texas on a direct path to the U.S. military, with no detours in the economic promised land of the North.  By the time he left the service, he would be a soldier, a marine, and finally and longest, a sailor.  The sea was his calling.  He was a Seabee--the nickname for the Naval construction battalion.  On my last visit to his home in California just up the road from Port Hueneme where the Seabees are based, the first thing he told me was to go to the back yard.  In the backyard under the orange tree leaning against the fence was a huge sign 15 feet wide and 5 feet high that read, U.S. Naval Base Subic Bay Philippines.  I turned to see my Uncle with the smile I am sure he gave his brother that day in Hawaii.
 I have never been to Subic Bay but I know it because it is where my Uncle Alex met my Aunt Lilly.  They would live there for much of their early married-life at this naval facility on the coast of the island of Luzon in the province of Zimbales.  Zimbales is the starred capitol of my mental map of the Philippines because of the collection of people who with my Aunt have reconstructed their hometown in Southern California mostly out of love and longing for origins.   It is the place where my cousin, their son, Jimmy would be deported for complicated governmental definitions of family that said he was not really one of us.  Jimmy’s Philippine birth made him too much of a threat to remain in a post-September 11th America. I turned again to the sign trying to imagine the feats necessary to get the sign, put it on a ship, remove it from the ship, get it off the base and then put it in his back yard.  I asked my uncle how and still smiling, he said he had no idea.  I looked at my uncle and his sign bearing the name of a place he loves and where his son now lives again. In that moment, I knew he was a man whose love could move things.  I thought of his brother, my Uncle James, for whom my son is named and whose recent death had shaken my family at its foundation and I knew he was also a man whose love could also find things.
My uncle—the sailor—found his brother—the soldier—on an army base in the Pacific.  In Uncle James’ version of the story, Alex—like most Texans—told everyone within hearing distance about the mighty state from which he haled and his home town.  There were others like these brothers—black men from small southern towns fighting again for a democracy they did not know in the United States—who would find each other and form new Georgias, Alabamas and South Carolinas in foreign lands.  One man told another who knew of a guy who was from a small town in Texas that sounded like the one someone said in a conversation.  This chain of information was only one manifestation of the links between these two men. They were able to spend the most time together since they had left Texas as boys looking for manhood.  Because they are men and men in my family—a particularly breed of man I have long observed—I know they did not express their concern for themselves and the other.  Nor did they acknowledge the deep and abiding love they shared.  But I know now that sometimes the most loving act can be physical presence: This is an act they would perform again and again. Criss-crossing this continent until illness and death kept them still.  They happened across each other’s paths several times in Southeast Asia. They would meet again only to depart for their separate battles.  They would find, but never lose, each other through their tours in war and life.


(The above post and the next to come were published in an essay collection on Black in Texas)

No comments: