The
second story is less about the private power of family and more about understanding
a personal response to public power’s willingness to sacrifice life it feels
has no value. The history of this
country is marked by that kind of sacrifice by men just like my Uncles. As a scholar of the death penalty, I am
constantly reminded of the willingness of the state to sacrifice black bodies
on the alters of power and progress.
In times of war, this domestic inclination goes international. As a person who has met men on death
row, I also know that, in often small and unacknowledged ways, men like my
uncles resist. In that afternoon
of my high school years, my Uncle James would tell me how he also resisted the
attempts of the state to sacrifice him for its better good.
Both my uncles fixed things in the
military. My Uncle Alex repaired
ships. My Uncle James repaired
tanks. My uncle explained the
difficulty of moving a tank through a jungle. I have now spoken with three of my Uncles about their
experiences in Viet Nam, and the most common narrative is the brutality of the
terrain. Always wet and bogged
down in mud and muck, the war was as much with the nature of the place as with
the people. All their accounts gave me the impression of constant movement
toward some unspecified point periodically interrupted by the encounters with an
unspecified enemy. When the
tank could not maneuver the terrain or just broke under the stress of combat,
they would stop. When the tank
stopped, my Uncle James was the first step in the return to forward
motion. In that war with nature
and men, movement seemed to be somehow equated with safety.
Uncle James was the lowest level mechanic. He
was only authorized to repair the most basic functions of the tank. He repaired
belts, wheels and chains. At least these are the parts my girl child brain recorded.
I am truly unsure if tanks have
wheels, but if they did, I am sure my Uncle fixed them. Because of the emphasis on forward
motion, all repairs had to be made within a certain time period. If he could not make the repairs in the
specified time, he would be left on his own to make the repairs and he would
follow with the next unit to cross his path. They would leave him alone in a jungle in Southeast Asia.
They would leave him, like black men and poor men of all races before him, as a
lamb awaiting slaughter for America’s obsession with forward motion. But, my
Uncle would not lie down. He would
resist. He understood who he was
and the meaning and manipulation of power.
All more complicated repairs had to be
made by mechanics with higher levels of training—the upper echelon. The upper echelon consisted, as I was
told, mostly of white men. Maybe
these men had some college or just more training from the army. I do not know. They were responsible for the
sophisticated repairs and my uncle the simple. If my Uncle could not make the repair, the sergeant would be
forced to call in the upper echelon allowing my Uncle to continue with his
unit. In true military fashion and
in the life all my Uncles later lived, the division of labor was rigid. My uncle was not the in the upper
echelon in Viet Nam nor in the United States.
By
the time I was interviewing him about his experiences in Viet Nam, he had
created a different life than the one he lived immediately after his
return. All of my uncles returned
to various parts of the U.S. broken and drinking. The need to self-medicate was not completely motivated by
the loss of Viet Nam. My Uncle
James used alcohol to push back the memories of war, to numb the pain of being
spit upon by anti-war protesters on his return, and surely to lighten the load
of baggage her carried with him from the poverty of Jim Crow Texas. Most of my Uncles would sober by the time I was in middle
school. My Uncle James’
transformation would be the most profound. He returned to Philadelphia to find his wife, child and
business gone. He went to work at a tool and dye factory. He drank and then he stopped. Then in the mid-nineteen eighties,
he heard the calling. He went to
seminary at night and got a degree in theology. He would then spend the rest of
his life ministering to senior citizens.
He found is daughter and they reconciled. Together, they would prepare dinner and hold services in the
community room of the oldest residential facility for black senior citizens in
the United States for nearly two decades. When he died, he was as much my father as my
uncle. By the time I was
interviewing him, I could not have believed he was capable of sabotage. I am
older now. I know he was capable
of surviving and the ethics of survival sometimes require sabotage.
My Uncle
took his duties as a mechanic seriously.
He would work hard to make the necessary repairs. I remember the brief hesitation and
then the sincerity in his voice when he relayed the next part of the
story. Even years later, he had
difficulty discussing the fear that was with him all the time. In the beginning, he would follow the
protocol. Make the repair. If the repair could not be made in
time, stay behind and follow with the next unit. After this happened several times, he began to think about
his wife, his child and the rest of his family. It is often only in the context of family that black people
truly know they are valued and valuable. I believe in a tank in Viet Nam,
distant from my family’s loving context, that he learned things of value must
survive. When it became clear that
he could not make repairs he knew were within his echelon of knowledge in
sufficient time to continue with his unit, he would do what he felt it took to
survive. He would wait for a
distraction. He would find his
moment. He would then break
something that could only be repaired by the upper echelon.
I
know as I write this some will only see him as saboteur. This is not the traditional story of
heroic service to which most Americans are accustomed. As one who has existed in the lower and
upper echelons of both personal and professional battlefields, it is the only
type of heroism I can now trust—fearful attempts to do the right thing fueled
and tempered by a desire to survive.
By the time we were discussing his experiences in Viet Nam, he was
already my hero. My awe for him
then was a childish adoration for a man who loved and doted on a small girl who
needed a father’s love. I am no
longer a child. In my maturation,
my awe for him, at times, overwhelms me.
I think about him as a young man alone in a tank with mind racing trying
to do the right thing and to live.
Now as a woman, I know that what is right is not fixed when one’s
survival is on the line.
The
image of my Uncle in that tank comes to me as frequently as the taffeta prom
dresses he bought for me and every girl child in my family for decades or our
trip to the Liberty Bell on my first visit to Philadelphia when I was 12. In a crucial moment, he understood who
he was and who he did not want to be in relation to powers that were both
outside and within his control.
Eyeing the constraints of his situation, he took his fate as much into
his own hands as he possibly could.
He was neither martyr nor sacrifice. He was a man who chose to live even when living for black
men was not easy. I cherish these
stories because they help to fully explain the man, and men, I came to know in
their later years. I cherish these
stories in a family that, at times, equates physical proximity with
communication. Sometimes the most
difficult thing to see is the thing right next to you. Distance has given me my greatest view
of my family.
When
that distance took me to Ann Arbor and then colleges through out the U.S. in my
search for academic employment, I would remember my Uncles’ education in
power. Because so many of my
Uncles, cousins, and racial kin went to Viet Nam, I have sometimes forgotten
that young men did other things during that time. On more than one occasion in an academic setting, I have
been told by older, usually white, men that they had not intended to make a
life in academia. They had
prolonged their educations solely to avoid the war in Viet Nam. These would-be colleagues brazenly,
sometimes tinged with braggadocio, relayed all the things they did because they
did not want to go to Viet Nam. I
would think. My Uncles also did
not want to go to Viet Nam, but they did not know that classroom doors were
escape hatches. I know what
classrooms can mean. They, my Uncles,
were intelligent men. In that
small town whose mention led my Uncles one to another in Hawaii, my family is
known for their smarts. In these
interactions with men who did not know that sabotage can be one’s salvation, I
was not angered. I would not wish
the experiences of my uncles on any one.
I was aware, however, of the difference between these men and my Uncles
and how their differences still defined their difference from me.
Academia
is not literally a war zone, but at moments I have felt threatened and
fearful. It is those identities—not
the experiences—that distinguish my would-be colleagues from my Uncles that
have put me in their midst and at times, their crosshairs. I, like my Uncles, grew up poor in the
racial complexities of Texas, but in a time when a black girl could be rewarded
for intellect. I, like my Uncles,
am young and black and in a place that views my body and its effort as a tool
for someone else’s project. I,
like my Uncles, do not inhabit this battlefield alone: my twin sister, Melanye,
also a university professor shares it with me. I, like my Uncles, have had to remain keenly aware of the
shifting landscape that could at any point strand or engulf me. I study the law because I have always
had a need to know the rules.
Unlike
my Uncles, I am now, in certain ways, in the upper echelon. I hold more degrees
than most people and teach in places where blacks have only recently been
allowed entrance and have solidified my place with tenure. In my personal and professional life, I
fix things or at least try. I am
always aware, however, in all my attempts at repair that in our society’s
commitment to hierarchies there are those who still hold positions above and
below me with corresponding relations and access to power. I am very proud of the place and space
I possess in the world, but I am never brazen about it nor do I brag. Too many are still in echelons that
make their survival a hope or a question.
I try to remember that people like me have not always been kind to people
like me and my Uncles. I try not
to strand or sacrifice—in the small ways that we can—anyone in my pursuit of
survival, but my family has taught me that I am valuable. Valuable things must survive.
My
Uncle James died a quick but brutal death from pancreatic cancer the summer
after my first year in law school.
Two years later, I graduated and was sworn into the
Texas Bar the next day. As I stood
a few steps away listening to the plans of a classmate, I heard my mother and
two of her siblings speaking in tones that as a child always made me want to
listen harder. These tones
signaled conversations that were not for children’s ears—the best kind of adult
conversation when you are young.
Now, each time they ring in my ear I must remind myself that I am grown
now. Without moving, I still
strained to hear the conversation of my mother her siblings who would be the
last of their kind standing. My Aunt
Mary says how proud and exciting.
She is my touchstone for enthusiasm—always a phone call away with praise
and interest. My mom, the picture
of graceful reserve, says yes it is.
My Uncle Joe, the only of his brothers not to do battle in a far away war,
is the last man standing in many ways.
He has no children, but we have made him a father. He is a watcher and lends his words
when they are only perfectly crafted for impact. There is silence and he says, “You know who would have loved
this?” I cannot see them clearly,
but I know they are shaking their collective heads. My mom, the matriarch of our family since her oldest sister
became ill shortly after my high school graduation, speaks for them all. She said with love and sadness and
power, “James.”
For
the students who fill my classrooms today, Viet Nam has little personal
significance. Though I was barely
living, Viet Nam will be as much my war as the two in the deserts of the Middle
East and caves of Afghanistan.
When I chastise my students for the failure to appreciate this recent
history, they ask me why is it so important. I tell them everything I know about power my Uncles learned
in Viet Nam. They look at me
quizzically. Maybe this will
explain.
No comments:
Post a Comment