This weekend I bought my son his first bike. A balance bike to be exact. It has no pedals. It instead requires
the child to walk along while straddling a miniature bike frame. Just when they have mastered this trick
of perambulating and steering, they lift their feet and glide. It was explained to me that the hardest
part of learning to ride a bike is maintaining one’s balance. Once they
understand balance, then pedaling is easy.
I have a lot of emotion not just because I am watching a child ride a
bike who this time last year still fed from my breast. I am filled with emotion
because I wonder how I will keep this lesson of prioritizing balance rather
than myopically pursuing the distant goal at the front of his mind as he moves
from infancy to childhood to man. I wonder because it is not a lesson that I have
fully learned in my nearly four decades.
So much of my life has flown by like wind, airy and fleeting, while I
pursued all the things I was taught made a life secure.
This summer we will spend a lot of time biking with me walking
beside—then running behind—trying to teach him that the pursuit of balance is
as much a part of following the path.

No comments:
Post a Comment